Kasese Floods: 900 Displaced, Left Stranded as Government Aid Fails to Materialize.

By Teddy Namayanja

900 people have been displaced after devastating floods swept through Kasese Municipality, leaving a trail of destruction and despair in their wake.  The displaced people are currently stranded, with nowhere to go and no aid in sight.

River Nyamwamba once again burst its banks following a heavy down pour in Kasese, on the eve of Saturday, September 7, 2024. Two people were confirmed dead on the fateful day.

According to a survey carried out by local authorities, the floods affected over 17 villages, and the affected people are from about 500 households. This number is adding on over 1000 victims that are currently staying at Muhokya camp in Kasese, that were hit by the previous floods.

Local leaders are urging the government to step in and provide emergency assistance, but so far, no aid has arrived. “We’re facing a humanitarian crisis here,” said John Mwebese, a local leader. “People have lost everything. We need help, and we need it now.”

As the situation continues to deteriorate, the people of Kasese are growing increasingly desperate. “We’re doing our best to help each other, but it’s not enough,” said Maria, a displaced resident. “We need support from the authorities. We can’t recover from this disaster on our own.”

With no government aid in sight, the displaced communities are left wondering when help will arrive. Will they be forced to fend for themselves, or will the authorities finally step in to provide the support they so desperately need?

Every year, at the start of the rainy season, River Nyamwamba bursts its banks causing flooding in Kasese town. A similar incident happened in May this year but did not claim any life.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *